RCU Forums - View Single Post - Self taught flying - My diary / progress
Old 07-30-2013, 06:40 PM
gbauto1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Self taught flying - My diary / progress

I to am fully self tought. Aircraft had always fascinated me from an early age.My father and I put together a stick kit that was rubber band propulsion.this kit was a full stick build and was covered with tissue cloth dope and a hair dryer.It had about a 24 inch wing span the wings and fuselage were fully built up. Wind it and throw it and then hope for the best....I believe I was about 9 or 10. At that time. Two years later I got a kadet jr and built that but never flew it. With in 6 years I had built 4 planes and did not fly any.  P-51 mustang. Ws. 46.....  Real sporty. 32 in ws
Top flight gold edition p-40.  These planes sat around for a while, and then I decided it was time to fly.  I had an 80 acre field behind and in front of my house.I HAD PREVIOUSLY ATTEMPTED FLIGHT WITH A 40size trainer,it was in the air for about 30 seconds. After that I purchased a sturdy birdy from tower hobbies. After many Saturdays of failure and frustration and in all honesty about an additional 600 dollars I could actually fly!!!!!!!Ii
I could take of complete several circuits of the field in a controlled manor and land when and were I wanted to. I was extremely happy, it had taken many many crashes lots of determination and money.That day I did that was about 20 years ago.In hind sight I should have joined a club and been mentored, it would have saved me time money and frustration.  Needless to say I'm still envolved in the hobby today and am presently working on my second twin engine aircraft.....stick with it and you will succeed....