RCU Forums - View Single Post - Self taught flying - My diary / progress
Old 07-31-2013, 01:55 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Self taught flying - My diary / progress

ORIGINAL: VCScott

It was possibly the most fun I ever had flying rc!

That is sooooo true.

I well remember the completely absorbing experiences of those first years. A bit like finding a new woman ... except the feelings lasted longer. It's been nearly 30 years and I'm still wedded to model planes. I couldn't imagine doing that with a woman; except out of habit, maybe.

Teaching yourself is very rewarding, but by God, it's a stony path to tread. If you are going to do it properly, it will lead you to research; since you will discover problems that you can't readily conceptualise. But, the answers are there, in the books. Lots of "Ahaaah" moments to enjoy.

On reflection, after nearly 30 years of model flying, I'm glad that I chose the more difficult path ... although that was the result of chance. I had no idea that there such things as clubs and instructors. You see, if I'd joined a club, I might have been lucky enough to find a good instructor ... but, there are many duffers, masquerading as instructors. I might more easily have fallen victim to one of those and been bequeathed a life-time of bad habits. As far as instruction goes, it's Russian Roulette, out there.

If you teach yourself ... and turn out duff ... at least you'll know who to blame.