RCU Forums - View Single Post - Official Helion Dominus 10SC Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 04:59 AM
Darksabre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Helion Dominus 10SC Thread

ORIGINAL: rwek

Well I went back to the manual and looked it over again. It does list the spur and pinion gear size. Don't need to start counting. I will either start with a pinion gear a couple teeth less than stock or I may try a different brushed motor and see what happens there. Was looking at my LHS this evening and it was suggested I try a 17 t motor. For around $25 it may be a good alternative.
Anyone notice a difference in performance by using a larger mah battery? Saw online someone was using a 3000 mah ni/mh battery and they claimed it ran faster than the stock 1800 mah battery that comes with it. How about a lipo? I use a 2s 5000 mah lipo on my other car & truck. Would this be something I should try on this vehicle? I probably will try this soon.

Reducing pinion gear teeth will give you more acceleration and lower top end. While I'm all for supporting your LHS, 25 bucks for a pinion gear is a bit extreme, especially on a truck like the Dominus. For 25 bucks, you can find packs of 3 different sized pinions - it'd give you more to play around with at least. Make sure you get one with the same Mod as the original (not sure what it is), so that it meshes well with the original spur gear.

A larger capacity battery, techncially, shouldnt have anything to do with 'performance' AS LONG AS both batteries are equally matched. As in, theyre both of the same quality, they both start at the same charge voltage, they both have the same discharge capability, etc. His higher mAH battery might have just been a better battery all around than the 1800 mAH.

If you go to LiPo on the Dominus, you will need to either get a different ESC that has a low voltage cutout circuit, or install a low voltage alarm to avoid over-discharging your LiPo's