RCU Forums - View Single Post - cycling?
Thread: cycling?
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 11:51 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: cycling?

IMPORTANT distinction: (below is all very much simplified.. rules of thumb, not anything etched in stone)
LIPO /LIFE batteries DO NOT typically need to be cycled. (since they do not develop a 'memory') but if they have multiple cells then they should be balance charged.
(although, by discharging, balance charging then discharging again you can see how many mah's the battery can deliver, so cycling is a method of testing how 'good' the battery is.

Nicad / NiMh batteries DO need to be cycled periodically but do not need to be balance charged (I cycle my NiMh batteries maybe twice per season, but have almost completely switched to LiFE's)

Nicad / NiMh batteries develop a 'memory' . from being charged then only partially discharged, then charged again. cycling them allows you to determine how many mah's they can deliver after a full charge.
(this way you'll know you can fly for X minutes and still have Y Mah's left in the battery)

Lipo / LiFE batteries do not like overcharging, so we balance charge them (by either charging the entire pack, then partially discharging the most 'full' cells until all the cells' voltage match, or by charging each cell individually via the balance plug)

again, a very simplified explanation ;D hope it helps.