RCU Forums - View Single Post - Handwriting on the wall?
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 03:40 AM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Handwriting on the wall?

ORIGINAL: countilaw

I was just saying that today the millinium child just wants to buy an electric foamy where he can just take it out of the box and fly it.

Most hobbyists today fall into that category. They just want to fly and take no pride in something they created, and holy smokes if they have to clean the glow fuel off the plane after they are through playing with it.

Ienjoy all aspects of the hobby, from drawing the plans, to cutting the wood to the silk and dope finish. I enjoy working with my glow engines when they need it.

As for spending time with family, My wife (now deceased) and my kids (a boy and a girl) would go to the flying field with me on the weekends and to contests all throughout the summer. My kids learned to fly and my wife was my caller, spotter, and helper. My kids learned to build also. So we had plenty of time together.

Ithink people that say that they like spending time with their family or they are too busy to build are just using that as an excuse not to build.

They use that excuse about spending time with their family when it's time to cut the grass at the club field. We all know who they are.

But that's just my opinion.

Frank
Yes it is your opinion, but as others have posted here. People should be free to enjoy this hobby / activity / sport in whatever way they choose without being criticised for it. If you enjoy building more power to you.. I don't enjoy it, but I would never criticise anyone that does.

You are right about the Millenium child.. but let me ask you a few questions.. and answer honestly,

1. Do you own a Microwave oven? or do you still chop your wood and cook on an open flame?
2. Do you send emails to friends and colleagues or do you write on paper and walk to the post office?
3. Did you buy your RC radio or did you build it yourself?
4. Do you buy your meat from the Supermarket or do you go out and hunt it yourself and earn gratifcation from catching your own food?
5. Do you have a washing machine or do you enjoy the satisfaction of handwashing every pair of socks you own?

Technology has changed all aspects of our life.. and there are many ways that your own life is more convenient as a result.

Real pilots learn to FLY.. they don't have to build their own aircraft..

Why do RC Pilots have to build their own aircraft when there are so many options available now?

There are also plenty of options for those that enjoy building and more power to them.. I admire someone who can build a beautiful aircraft from scratch.

Does a musician have to build his own piano? Guitar? Trumpet? No they are the tools of his hobby.. If your hobby is flying RC planes, who says you MUST build your own aircraft?

I built several Balsa aircraft in the 80s when there was no other option. Now there are plenty of alternatives.

I never want to build another Balsa plane in my life.. but I do enjoy constructing Helicopter Kits.. I own 13 x 450 Helicopters and 2 x 550 size because the construction process became almost as addictive as the flying..

I agree with you 100% that most kids don't have the, patience, skill or desire to build a Balsa plane from scratch.

Trying to get them into this hobby that way simply will not work..

However, ARF, Bind and Fly and PNP kits may give them the "instant gratification" they need to get off the Video games and outdoors and into this great Hobby.

I don't have a problem with that. and I am certainly not going to criticise people if they don't want to build an aircraft from scratch.. Displaying that condescending attitude to newbies is the best way to guarantee kids will avoid this hobby completely.

There are exception as I do know several teenagers who love this hobby and do have the skill and patience to build..

Here is the Instant gratification that comes from building a 450 helicopter..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU4w7IT-1do[/youtube]

And yes,I completely agree with you, nothing beats the satisfaction of watching your own creation fly...

Here is the maiden of the helicopter built in the above video.. (My flying was very timid 3 years ago as I was then a heli newbie)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9X0rYnHEDY[/youtube]