View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 12:24 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default RE: Distance judging

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

ORIGINAL: acdii

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

acdii, the reason your engine revved up 400 rpm when you cut throttle on final approach is because the DLE20 has a funky ignition advance curve in the module. It is a subject discussed thoroughly in the engine forums. A lot of DLE20 owners change the RCExl module version of the DLE20 to another version.

Besides all the advice for landing that has been presented here, I would consider a change to your ignition module. This has been a problem for many other flyers.
Not this. The engine was at idle for at least 30 seconds and was on a perfect approach, had the corn not been there and the plane was about 4 feet lower it would have made a perfect landing. It was when I gave a touch of down elevator and the nose dipped that the engine speed increased. It didnt increase after the nose dropped and picked up speed, it increased as the nose dropped. In fact my fingers were off the left stick at this time. The idea was to drop it about 4 feet and level off, instead it sped up and drop almost 8 feet and I barely got it leveled off when the wheels smacked the ground. It looked as though I intentionally increased throttle and pushed it down, when all I was trying to do was get it a little closer to the ground . Had I just killed the engine when it crossed the corn, this manuever would have worked perfect.

I do know what you are referring to, but this is a new ignition, the original one got mangled in the first 4* when its wing snapped. The only time I have a high idle is when running from full throttle and quickly chopping to idle, a blip of throttle settles it right down. If I dont blip it, it remains high and never settles down, even though the throttle is fully closed. From half throttle though it idles right down to 1600 and ''usually'' stays there. It never did this on the ground, but I never picked the plane up and seen what it does at idle with the nose pointing up or down, but will see if it happens in a static test, who knows maybe there is a tiny bit of slop in the linkage causing it, though I doubt it since the throttle spring is still in place.

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood your description. So, other than something flaky in the throttle linkage as you mention, a larger diameter/smaller pitch prop would help slow down the plane more on landing, as some have already mentioned.
I have a handful of props, so will give them a try after I change out the radio and setup flaperons. I like how it flies with the current prop, did not like it with the 17x8 XOAR, but I have a few other props I can try out too.