RCU Forums - View Single Post - Handwriting on the wall?
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 02:02 PM
4X4FABGUY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Handwriting on the wall?

As long as my planes is in the air I don't care too much how its powered, nitro, gas, electric, or wind. All have their merits and I enjoy them all. For me convienence has taken over a bit. When I get off work and want to get in an hour of fly time before dark, The electrics rule. I have a field across the street I can fly in and I carry my stuff over there to fly, closed gate but I can walk in anytime. With my glow planes I need to pack a ton of stuff over there. Like The plane, radio, fuel, starter, battery for starter, glow ignitor, ect. I also have to make sure all the batterys are charged. I hate to walk all the way over to find my glow ignitor is dead. Or the starter battery. Its funny, you need to charge more batterys to fly nitro then you do to fly electrics. To fly my electrics I only need my radio and plane! If I want a bunch more air time I slip an extra battery in my pocket. When I get home I just hang the plane on the wall. No after run prep needed, and its ready to go anytime. Thats hard to beat for ease of use. In the last 5 years though my nitro stuff moves less and less. Planes, boats and cars. Now I seem to use the electrics and gas most. I do love my nitros and will always have some, I love to tinker on them. The gains one can get from a modifing a 2 stroke are amazing. I learned about port timing, tuned pipes, bigger carbs, higher comperssion and all the stuff that goes on inside a 2 stroke. The first time I modded an engine I was blown away by the power increases I got with a dremel tool. All that is lost with electrics. Sure you can tweek them on your laptop at the field to change all sorts of things but its just not the same. I know I would miss the little glow engines if they ever went away.