RCU Forums - View Single Post - Distance judging
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013, 05:43 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Problem, resolved, Mostly. I set it up on the JR, and found the cause of the idle up too. The throttle linkage has a touch of play, and just wiggling the rudder is enough to cause the idle to rise. I made some adjustments on the new radio to take the sensitivity out of it. I set it up for flaperons, and man does this bugger fly slow. I had it at idle and it would not stall, but I can now bring it down and land it without bouncing all over the place. My friend said it looked like a real plane in the distance in silhouette with how slow it was flying. I just need to practice a bit more on the landings and get my groove back flying this one. It is WIcked now with the separate aileron channels, it has extreme throws and can really roll and tumble. I need to see if I can ratchet the throttle though, its setup for Heli, and it doesnt take much at all to move the throttle at idle.

I had to land downwind though, landing into the wind last night, was impossible. The runway is east-west, corn on north, east, and west, bilevel barn on the southeast end, tree, and some trailers on the southwest side, and some full size airplanes in pieces behind the barn. So the east end is the furthest from where we stand and fly, the wind last night was SSW, when meant landing from the right. Because of the barn, it gets turbulent on the east end, which makes it interesting to say the least when the wind is out of the south. However last night the wind was in such a direction that trying to land that plane was impossible. I had to crab it into the wind, in fact I could see full profile as it was coming down, and it was drifting right. When I got over the threshold and tried to straighten out, the drift increased greatly, and I was off the landing zone in a heart beat. I had tried to set it up so it was really south of the landing strip, but it would still drift too much for a safe landing, so I came in from the west with the wind, and was able to set it down smoothly. We all thought it was going into the corn at the end but it slowed enough to turn without ground looping.

I took it up a second time and tried again, but it was way too hard, it would just drift like crazy, and it really wasn't that windy, under 10 MPH, but it was in such a direction that just pushed the plane sideways. So brought it down with the wind again, had a nearly perfect landing, but a little to much nose down and clipped the prop on touchdown, but it still landed smoothly, no bounce, no sprung gear, and no divits in the field.

I was able to land my LT40 into the wind though, it was not affected by the cross wind on landing, and two out of three landings were perfect, my one T&G though, heheh, man can that plane bounce! One landing clipped the prop, stopping the engine, the other two were level and smooth. These are all tail draggers too, I dont care for trikes. A few times thought both planes were in the corn at the ends, but they cleared.

Man is it tough to determine if they will clear when you fly only one night a week.