RCU Forums - View Single Post - RC Guys Cessna 150 Aerobat Gas to Electric Conversion
Old 08-07-2013, 07:03 AM
clandestoy
My Feedback: (112)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figured I would post some pics of the conversion I am doing on the RC Guys Cessna 150 Aerobat.

Picture-1 is of the rail system I installed to support the battery tray. It consists of two rails on each side to keep the tray locked in place. Next time I will rip a couple of pieces of pine and make slot down the middle so that it is a single piece. Something I thought about afterwards so it will go on my next project.
The tray is held in place by a screw that will go through the tray in the front and into a blind nut I installed into the rail that spans across the space.

I will be installing a piece of solid foam and some acorn nuts on the screw that protrude through the firewall into this space to keep the batteries safe should they get slammed into the firewall for any reason.

Picture-2 is of the Futaba 3305 metal gear servo I installed in the rudder. I had a Futaba 3010 in there originally but wanted to get a little more power back there. I will also be changing out the 3004 servos I have in the ailerons for more powerful ones as well.

Picture-3 is of the Hitec metal gear servo I installed for the steering. I wanted something sturdier up there to be able to withstand the shock of the strut a bit better.

Picture-4 is a head-on shot f the business end of the plane. That E-flite 160 sure is a sweet motor!

Picture-5 is a side shot of the setup. I hope to get some eye-popping performance out of this setup. It should give much greater pulling power than the G-26 I had in there originally.

Picture-6 is of the batteries mounted in the tray. I had the shave down two small indentations in the front piece of the rails to allow the tie wraps to slide in. I will also be installing some velcro onto the bottom of tray to keep the batteries from sliding front to back.

Picture-7 is of the tray itself. I made it from lite-ply but feel it may be a bit weak. I may double up on the wood or I may buy some 1/8" aircraft grade ply and make up a new tray. I'll wait until I maiden her to see if it is necessary.

Please feel free to comment or make suggestions, I am always looking for ways to improve my builds
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cessna photo 1.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	1905792   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cessna photo 2.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	1905793   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cessna photo 3.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	1905794   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cessna photo 4.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	1905795   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cessna photo 5.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	1905796   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cessna photo 6.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	1905797   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cessna photo 7.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	1905798  

Last edited by clandestoy; 08-07-2013 at 07:04 AM. Reason: .....