RCU Forums - View Single Post - *sigh* 1 more week?
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2013, 07:06 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BadSplice
I would like to share the idea I posted in another thread. We should take up a collection to offer to Pay for better forum software. It seems we are going with this software because its owned by RCU's parent company. That must mean we are dealing with this terrible new format because its their cheaper option. If we are paying for it we can demand better.
GREAT idea... but what do we do when someone says 'I'm paying for this site and I want it to look like THIS'
and someone else says 'I'm paying for this site TOO and I want it to look like THAT '

am I the only one here who remembers everyone complaining about how unstable the site was?
about how you couldn't upload pictures??
THE (OLD) SITE WAS DOWN FOR 4 DAYS DURING THE TOLEDO EXPO

RCU was previously using very outdated forum software (because it was the cheapest option) which was custom modified (by RCU's then current owner)
and no one on the planet (except the former owner) had ANY idea what modifications were made, how to revert them or how to make the doggone thing work if something went awry.

are there still issues to be worked out? absolutely there are.
is RCU's software more stable and predictable? I sure think so
is the site now better equipped to keep up with more current technology and upgrades? again, I sure think so.
for me, the fact that the site looks a bit different isn't a big deal. That's only my opinion and of course everyone is entitled to their own.
it just seems to me this upgrade was a no-brainer, it is still a work in progress but IMHO, RCU is far better off now than it was two weeks ago.

<end rant>