RCU Forums - View Single Post - Realistic Aluminum paint?
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2013, 06:58 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

One of the biggest mistakes made when spraying any of the aluminum paints, is thinking you can do it well with anything less than a very high end paint gun. I don't care what paint you spray, if it doesn't atomize the paint fine enough and allow it to flow out dead smooth, the BEST paints will look like nothing more than paint when they have an orange peel to them. Even if you sand and polish the clear, the paint itself will reflect the orange peel and look like nothing more than shiny paint. This requires patience, and skill. You need to spray at the right temps, using the right air pressure, and the right paint reducers and amounts. If you are using a horror freight gun, or anything less than a top line gun, results will be marginal. I'm not saying this to sound like a paint snob, I'm saying it because it's true. Real metal doesn't have orange peel, if you are spraying a reflective paint and there is orange peel in it, it is going to look like paint and there is nothing you can do about it. There is a reason professional painters use Sata and Iwata paint guns, it's not because we like the name, it's because they decrease the work load in the final finishing department. There are extremely fine silver paints out there that will look very much like aluminum, not a high polished aluminum, but for something like the blue tail, with a little weathering and airbrushing it would be hard to tell that it was paint instead of metal. Again though, this requires good equipment, a good understanding of how paint works, skill, and some luck.