RCU Forums - View Single Post - Venus II
Thread: Venus II
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2013, 03:42 PM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Joe and Bob. I went back and looked at those posts and see how to do it. I do have a pump (the previous owner had one mounted to the firewall but it was not connected) and I have plenty of ply available. I'm sure I don't really notice the change in trim during an 8 minute flight, unless the cg is back of the most rear range! What I find confusing is that, when I tried moving the CG back (finally to 3/4" back from the mid point) I saw no change in the elevator deflection needed to trim to level flight at 3/4 throttle. Yes, I refilled the tank before each test. The stability changed but the elevator position did not. I went back to the design CG and tried shimming the rear of the wing. I even took a Popsicle stick! (5/64") A 1/16 shim made a noticeable improvement in the trim, so I tried the Popsicle stick and the 1/16" shim for a total of 9/64" which got the elevator to almost the neutral position. It seems that 5/32" is needed. This seems a lot. I'll borrow a friend's incidence gauge and see what the angles are. BTW, I did the inverted 45 degree test for CG and noted that, as I increased the shim size, the indication was more nose heavy. I'd appreciate your comments on these results.

BTW, I do very much appreciate your help with this. I'm told the Venus flies even better than the Focus Sport and I loved the way that plane flew, so I have an incentive to get this one tweaked to where it needs to be.