RCU Forums - View Single Post - Improving stability
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2013, 09:54 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess after 43 years of flying RC with 6 years of control line before that, I think you really need to learn the basics before becoming enamored with bells and whistles. Over the years I have been honored/burden with flying many hundreds of other people's models. Most models tend to have multiple problems that prevent great performance. Just getting the radio installed with proper geometry of the control system is beyond many, and getting a well set-up fuel system that works well with the engine at any attitude is unusual. Assuming that today's typical flier achieves this, you then get to work on trimming the airplane. By this, I mean that you get the balance correct and the engine thrust line adjusted. Failure to do these basic steps are why so many have difficulty in flying even simple models.

I do think that stability augmentation systems have their place, but are just a distraction for 95% of sport flying. They do help the micro-sized model achieve dynamics similar to larger models, and in a twin could prevent loss when an engine fails.

I noticed many years ago that a significant percentage of sport fliers only fly with elevator and ailerons for the majority of their flights. Quite often they do not touch the throttle or rudder between the take-off and landing. Perhaps the best thing you can do to learn to fly a model is take flying lessons in a full size airplane. Most people can solo in under 10 hours, but you will learn how much there is to learn in that period, and what the rudder and ailerons really do in all facets of operation in the air and ground. Oddly enough, flying RC models also benefits full size pilots.

BTW, most full size general aviation aircraft are set-up more like the typical R/C trainer (both will fly themselves once trimmed), while more advanced models are quite different.