RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1.4 oz vs .75 oz Fiberglass Cloth For Balsa Finishing
Old 08-28-2013, 06:57 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

Bob,

Where do you get a 4x8' sheet of basswood plywood without paying a fortune for shipping?

How does it compare with 1/8" light ply and 3/32" birch ply?

When you are using basswood ply for fuse sides are you using the plywood for doublers under balsa or just as a stand alone fuse side? Since I will not be using iron covering on the fuse this time I wanted a solid side. How would you recommend building a solid fuse side, stringers, longerons, and formers for my project described above?

What technique do you use to cut the lightening holes in the foam cores. I see no holes in the foam shuck beds. Are they cut after the airfoil is cut?

How do you cut the sheer web slot over the wing tube and outboard of the end of the tube?

How do you construct the sheer web over the tube and out? Is that a carbon strip over the sheer web?

On the foam cores shown are the ailerons already cut out. Do you cut them off before sheeting? If so how do you cut them out. If after sheeting how do you cut the out? I had always sheeted first and then cut the ailerons off and then capped the edges with balsa at the hinge line.

What type of wing sheeting are you using. What type of glue do you use to adhere to the foam.

Thanks for your building tips.

Gary