RCU Forums - View Single Post - T-28 Dave Platt
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013, 07:25 PM
WARBIRDRCER
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Updateon Maser’s project.

Sunday afternoon we tuned the engine to peek performance. The 20x10 prop turned a disappointing 6600 RPM static and was a little much for the engine. We installed a 20x8 and increased RPM by 1K bringing us to a max static RPM of 7600. Still far below the advertised 9K + RPM, Oh I forgot; FUGI stated that test was conducted with a 22x10 on a 50 degree day with a low density altitude.

Anyway,I was able to tune for hand propping, so we stopped and did some taxi test. Also we are testing the engine on his glassed P-51 which weights in at 22 pounds. This is 4 pounds less than the T-28, not to mention less drag.

All calculations I could come up with state this engine and prop combinations are good for about 16 pounds of thrust.

Today, Monday we test flew the P-51 with the 20x8 prop. The plane ate up almost 500 feet of runway before liftoff, and once airborne it was apparent this engine lacked the thrust needed for flight safety. Boyd did a good job flying the pig back to earth, but I can tell you he is now a true believer in the adage; “It is better to be down here wishing to be up there, rather than being up there wishing to be down here”.

The upgraded engine should be on the way to his house by close of business today,Tuesday Sept. 3.