RCU Forums - View Single Post - Most Used RC Radios Airplane
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 07:37 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My first radio, after the 27 MHz RTFs, was a Hitec Prism 7X that I purchased used in 2003. It worked fine, but I needed more mixing for sailplanes.

I purchased a Futaba 9C in 2004, then a second as a back-up in 2005 when I started flying more contests. I sold the 9Cs and upgraded to Futaba 9C Supers as my main radios in 2007. Very happy with them and have no plans to replace. If I did replace them I would probably got to the Futaba 14SG.

I have taken the 9C Supers from 72 MHz to Spektrum 2.4 DSM2 via module so I can continue to fly 72 MHz as I move to 2.4 GHz.
When I decided to go to the NATs I felt that DSM2 was not going to be good enough with the potential of 100 pilots in the events I was going to fly. I moved over to Futaba FASST via Futaba FASST modules, keeping the DSM2 module for BnFs. If DSMX module had been available I might have stayed with Spektrum.

Each 9C Super has gone in for service once, due to my abuse or careless treatment. One definitely did not like being dropped down the basement stairs. Service was great and very reasonable in price.

I have been using Futaba R617S 7 channel receivers (4). Bullet proof in 3.4 M carbon/Kevlar fuselage contest sailplanes that are flown very high and very far out. They range checked fine from inside the fuselage with no issues. Three are totally intennal and one is set-up with "cat wishers".

Based on excellent reports I just added two FrSky FASST receivers and have an Orange FASST to try. One of the FrSky just went into another high end contest glider. I decided to do cat wishers on this one for the antennas. The other Frsky and the Orange have not found homes yet but since they are 1/3 the price of the Futaba receivers I can start to migrate my 2.4 receivers to my smaller, less costly planes/gliders. Slowly but surely the 72 MHz stuff is coming out and being sold off or given away.

Happy Futaba customer and expecting to be a happy FrSky customer as I have so many friends using FrSky with great results. Don't know about Orange yet.

Last edited by aeajr; 09-04-2013 at 07:58 AM.