RCU Forums - View Single Post - NGH 17 cc gas engine
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2013, 06:40 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I have a NGH 17cc gas engine in my big Superstunts .60 plane. It seems to work just fine for me in the plane. I don't remember it ever wanting to die in a nose down attitude though. The engine is all open in this plane too. Of couse in the Superstunts plane one only needs about 1/2 to 2/3 throttle to do most every aerobatic manuever as it has so much wing area and is very light weight for a big plane with a 80 inch wing span. It doesn't seem to want to spin fast although it does do spins, it needs more aileron surface area as they used some of the span for flaps. I am thinking about changing the flaps to flaperons. Several other people bought NGH 17cc engines after seeing mine work out OK. But I haven't seen them fly their engines yet, we haven't converged at the flying field at the same time so far.

But on the internet I have read of a couple of people having connecting rod failures though. I use Stihl Ultra synthetic oil and maybe that helps keep the rod lubed better. Hard to say though.

Now in my GP Big stick I am running a NGH 9cc engine with a Walbro carb conversion and if I take the plane into a full throttle power dive, when the plane reaches a certain airspeed the engine suddenly leans out and quits. I got to studying it and the hole in the regulator cover is just inline with the rear edge of the spinner. I surmised it might be building up some air pressure right there behind the cover causing the engine to lean out at higher speeds. I put a fitting and a tube on it and routed the tubing inside the fuselage and it quit dying on me like that in a full throttle power dive.

Last edited by earlwb; 09-08-2013 at 06:46 PM. Reason: add more info