RCU Forums - View Single Post - Anyone getting fed up with this hobby?
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 07:00 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

In my area it seems there are not alot of new flyers. The problem with this is the current crowd is getting old (no hate). they've bee around together for awhile and arent real open to new people. To make it worse, everything they fly has a square wing and nearly 0 wing loading. So they can take off from a mountain if needed. I think a mountain may be smoother than the fields we have these days.

There are barely any EDFs in my area, just a few fomies like squalls. A few turbines, and the rest are square high wings. The extreme is a low wing piper cub. We do have a handful of large 3D planes I should not ignore but its not my thing.

So yes I know what you mean.

Upkeep of a field? One field is destroyed yearly by a large machine auction (tractors, tillers, combines) to it only gets worse. The other floods all the time. The final one has a runway with more crack than Los Angelos. Regardless, no one needs a nice runway as mentioned before, so even if I take it upon my self I dont have any support from the clubs. I and a couple others have tried.

EDIT:

I just want to say I dont go for social interaction. I am there to fly. Like the OP I odnt have much in common with 60-70 year olds. To make it worse I am one of 3 in my area with a turbine so the younger crowd disowns me for some reason since getting it. Probably because one of them acts like he is God's gift to RC because they have a turbine (give me a break).

Last edited by essyou35; 09-09-2013 at 07:10 AM.