RCU Forums - View Single Post - Anyone getting fed up with this hobby?
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 07:46 AM
jj46

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I agree with much in this thread, I have to say the constant bashing of ARFs is getting old. They are here to stay... just accept it and move on. If you like to build, GREAT! I hope builders never go away... I love seeing unique models and awesome craftsmanship. However, at the end of the day, I feel like it's the 'compact disk or vinyl' argument. Maybe vinyls do sound better... but they are gone... deal with it. There are cheap, crappy ARFs out there... and there are very good ones... straight, well glued, well covered. Unique, no... but in today's instant-gratification society, the market has spoken. Kits in large numbers are not coming back... so let's just stop complaining about ARFs. I built many kits when I started out... however now, working 45+ hours a week, taking care of things at home, etc, I don't want to spend 300 hours building something... what spare time I do have, I want to fly. I like building, but given a chance to build or fly, I want to fly. A lot of builders are retired... so there is a time-availability issue at play as well. Not really apples to apples.

In regard to attitudes, this is definitely a real problem. As more and more fields are being shut down (my local field just got shut down by a city council, because of one complaining neighbor with political connections), I really worry about the future of our hobby. I'm afraid in 10-15 years there will be no gas models anymore... all small electrics and park fliers. Look what happened to Cox.... the sold a bazillion of those .049 control line planes... now they are sold on ebay as a relic. Check out their site now... a couple of electric park fliers. Noise, no place to fly due to complaints and urban sprawl, injuries from ignorance, and the war on "drones" & FPV are all fighting against us. Also, since kids can go buy a ready built model and fly with little or no help, the camaraderie is going away as well. I am 35 and know of only two people younger than me flying actively. It is scary, and sad... goodbye Great Planes PT-40, Sig four star 40... hello Playstation 4. When I started flying at age 10, I LOVED the flying field... lived there during my summer breaks. All the guys welcomed me in, befriended me, helped me out... now on the rare occasion I see someone younger at the field, they are basically ignored. Too many of the 'old guard' as they are described in this thread want to play king of the hill, and don't even want new/young fliers. As time goes on, will there be enough new fliers/members to keep these fields and clubs going? I really don't think so.