RCU Forums - View Single Post - Anyone getting fed up with this hobby?
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 10:58 AM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kim Couturier
Know what you mean. I was there 4-5 years ago. I needed to find something new in the hobby to re-energize me. Started flying jets. It's awesome, and EVERYONe is interested in talking about it!
I was in the same boat.. after 30 years of fixed wing RC flying, everything was a case of "been there, done that"

I started on RC helicopters 3 years ago and wow.. what a humbling experience it was.. I have an ATP (Australian and USA) licence with jet ratings, and a commercial rotary licence with years of experience flying real Police Helicopters, but I can honestly say.. learning to fly RC helicopters was the most challenging and rewarding thing I have done in Aviation ( Full size and RC included)

It is totally addictive, and 3 years later I have 13 x 450 size helis, 2 x 550 size and numerous smaller BNF helis like the MCPX, 130X, Brushless MCPX etc.. I love flying them and feel totally renewed in my passion for this hobby.

As for flying at clubs. I started at 14 in 1978 and my instructor was the one of the calmest and most helpful RC pilots I have encountered, enthusiastic and competent. I remember those days as if it were yesterday, I would hang on his every word and admired the older club members for their building and flying abilities.

After 2 years I was a club instructor at age 16 and enjoyed test flying lots of different aircraft then teaching people to fly them.

But boys grow up and after leaving school, doing an aeronautical engineering degree, joining the Police Force (to pay for my flying lessons) and eventually working two jobs simultaneously (Police and flying instructor) there was no time left for clubs on the weekends. so I would always fly my RC planes alone whenever time permitted.

I have nothing against clubs only very fond and happy memories. My current job also makes it impossible to attend a club regularly as I spend 60-70% of the year away from home (International corporate pilot - currently in Greece for 3 weeks) so I still fly RC alone mostly.. I have a good friend in Perth Australia, who is also my greatest success story as a student and we fly together when I am in Perth on a layover. (50% of my planes and 2 helis live at his house)

To the OP, it sounds like you might enjoy a break from the club.. just fly your planes and go with your heart.. you will know when it is time to go back to the club.. If you ever feel bored with planes - try helis. Its like starting all over again.

There are so many ways to participate in this hobby, building, flying, ARFs, scale, helis etc. .. I think people should be free to enjoy this hobby how they please and let others do the same.

Last edited by Rob2160; 09-09-2013 at 11:03 AM.