RCU Forums - View Single Post - TBM Shock Jet
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2013, 07:48 AM
gjhinshaw
My Feedback: (303)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When putting the wing together, MANY glue it together with Epoxy..... Sorry But this is a NO GO! Putting the wing together requires sanding everything first, The scuff up the Aluim. brace. You must use Hysol to glue the wing together. I have tried almost everything and only Hysol held together! I also used the hysol on the wing mounting blocks in the fuse. Never had a failure doing it this way, and at over 600 flights... It is still holding strong..... Just FYI and my 2 cents.

Gerry H.

Originally Posted by Dr Honda
Well.... My lawndart is the hotspot I'm finishing for this coming summer. (lol)

And as before... with kids, life, and everything else... I don't know if I have the energy to build, cover, and rig an 80" model.

BUT... I think I have figured out a solution !!!!!!!! OK... so my real problem is in transporting it. But... I think I have figured out how to do a 2 part wing without major surgery.

1) We know that the center has to be glued VERY well to be able to take the stress. TBM's fix was to add the wood inside the brace to make a better bond. OK... so how about a 2 part brace, that can be bolted together from the underside?? It would still have wood, and still be glued into the wings. But, once the bolts are out... it could separate.

2) The second part of the fix was the wood dowels in the wing to keep the wood from crushing. Ok.. we still do that mod... but then we add a brace (internal) or a plate (external) to tie the bolts together. This will keep them from stretching apart... and letting the wing to separate. The remaining wood would still get soaked in think CA to make it hard.

3) If needed... a final internal brace can be added to sandwich the center ribs together. (But I'm not sure that would be needed)

What do you guys think??

I may even get crazy, and make a removable nose section to take a few inches out of that length.

regardless... I think I'm going to order a kit after Xmas, and see what can be done.