RCU Forums - View Single Post - Why is my Flair J3 Cub Nasty?
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2013, 03:48 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've two Cubs about that size, the first is s Goldberg Anniversary and the second a World Models, both full wings versions. The Goldberg is rock stable and has no tip stall tendencies and stalls straight forward but the World Models has the nasty tendencies you describe. The Goldberg was built with washout and has strip ailerons and the World Models has no wash out and barn door ailerons..

I was told by a man who had owned a full scale Cub, that it was common for owners who weren't concerned about a slight bit more drag, to trim the ailerons up a bit to reduce the tip stall issue and it indeed works quite well for the models as well but this would depend on whether your version has barn door ailerons, and likely the Flair version does.

Do a throttle to aileron mix where about 1/4" up aileron trim occurs at low throttle. The trim should start when throttle is reduced to 1/2-1/3. The mix simulates having wing washout and is a nice way to do things especially if flown much inverted as washout is then wash in and undesirable.

In conjunction, it is also very important on a Cub to use generous aileron differential with around twice as much up than down. This because the wings being so long, have a long lever arm for the greater drag of a down aileron, producing an undesirable yaw opposing the turn.

Last, Cubs very much enjoy a little aileron to rudder mix. By adding the two mixes and the differential, my World Models Cub got the nasty tamed out of it;... hope it will do the same for yours.

Last edited by AA5BY; 09-22-2013 at 03:56 AM.