Thread: Hawk crash
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2013, 08:25 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by gjhinshaw
Dennis,

We also went threw this at our club. We voted to have the radio banned...... BUT since we fly on a PUBLIC Field it didn't hold up. WHY..... Because we were told that the Field is PUBLIC and we have NO control over it, UNLESS we go to the city meeting and get them to ban it. Just saying.. so come on with your comments, again.......
You’re absolutely right you have no control over the actions of the general public. That being said the club bears no responsibility for their actions either. On lands managed by your Army Corps of Engineers where it is posted you must have AMA to fly there I know you only have the right to ask for assistance to have someone removed from the site if they do not have a valid AMA card. At other times there may be a special event where an agreement exists where the club has exclusive use of the field regardless of it being public property. At those times the club can determine the rules and what is acceptable.

If your club voted to ban these radios then the only ones that would be affected would be club members. Not the general public. Your club members would be expected to abide by the ban. As to the general public they are responsible for their own actions and except for those special occasions where the club has exclusive use of the field the club could not enforce the ban on the general public.

Private airfields and clubs are a different matter.

It’s too bad so many of the clubs in the US have to rely on using public land. I have flown at clubs both on private land and public land and the difference in many cases is night and day.

Dennis