RCU Forums - View Single Post - A10 dissapointment
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2003, 12:48 AM
rcwacogeorge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A10 dissapointment

I gotta add my 2 cents worth to this thread. I have a GWS A10 which has gone thru 4 "stock" motors on 7 1100ma nicads. The brushes were the failure on all 4 motors. I went the High dollar route and put in the Astro Flight 010 brushless/WeMoTec fan combinations ($150 each from Astro Flight). These install with very little modification since the WeMoTec fan unit is the same size as the GWS unit. I flew initially with the same 1100ma NiCd packs and was somewhat disapointed with performance (flying weight is now 23 oz). These motors are 1" dia compared to the approx 3/8" dia of the GWS motors and upon reflection I realized I needed to add a fairing tube on the back of the motor to hold a constant cross section (actually slightly tapering down) thru the nacelle. Smooth flow is essential in ducted fans! I was amazed at the increase in performance with that mod only. I can now do loops from a slight dive and 2 rolls before things get sloppy due to loss of airspeed. Aerobatic flight time is 8 minutes at full throttle! These motors can handle up to 9 cells but I'm concerned with weight. The LIPoly batteries mentioned in this thread really sound interesting. On 7 cell NiCd's I'm pulling just over 10 amps static. What size and weight LiPoly cells would be required for this set up?