RCU Forums - View Single Post - DERIVATIVE, New 2X2
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 08:58 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by serious power
Hi Matt,
I wonder if you could detail, briefly even, the lay up for these struts - cloth weight/quantity ,core materials etc.
Weight per strut only - if you have it.
I will have to make a set for my new model - a little shorter than normal as they will be placed very low down.
I really like your approach with these.

Brian
Brian,

I use clam shell molds for all of my landing gear and propeller lay-ups. I slightly overstuff the mold to make certain of 100% coverage, unless I am making hollow cores. Overstuffing is simpler and heavier of course

Lay-up is as follows:

First off, 2 layers each side of a strut (8 pieces total) 3K carbon cloth, typically plain weave, BIAS CUT. What I do is first put the two layers of cloth together and wet the cloth with epoxy between layers of plastic wrap. I roll the assembly with a small roller to distribute the epoxy evenly and remove excess. The cloth becomes easy to manage and cut exactly to the shape I want prior to placing it in the mold. Plastic wrap is easy to remove

Then a predetermined amount of full length carbon rovings, 3k also (because I have it handy, but other heavier grades will work just as well, but use less plies) wetted and rolled between layers of plastic, same way as the cloth, is made and laid down over the cloth. Then I build thickness with shorter rovings with special attention at the strut to fuse knee and the strut to wheel axle knuckle.

Then I add carbon fill in the middle of the clamshell

The clam shells are aligned and bolted together. Any excess epoxy squeezes out and the carbon fill will if I overstuffed too much.

Hollow gear legs are a whole nother type of construction, similar but different, that I won't go into.

The struts I show on Delta (Derivative) weigh between 44 and 45 grams each. Pants weigh 12-14 grams (2 3/4" wheel) and aluminum axle about 4 grams. The wheel pants already have all the hard points installed, nuts and ferrules installed, and carbon cloth reinforcements installed in the mold, fully aligned in the mold. Fully painted and RTF each complete gear without wheel weighs around 2.4 ounces.

The mount in the fuse is really simple. It starts by building a 1/64" ply box around the fuse knee, using each gear leg as the male mold. Then on I add 2 1/32" birch ply layers over the box, while it is still mounted onto the gear leg. This assures a perfect fit when installed in the fuse. Then I wrap the box with carbon roving 20 times with 3K roving and epoxy, and let that cure. Needless to say, the gear leg must be waxed and PVA'd lest you want a stuck together assy. I have also use teflon tape before as release with good results. The assembly of both struts, fuse mounting boxes and mounting pins is done on the bench first to fit everything. Once I'm satisfied, holes are cut in the fuse and the ply-carbon boxes are installed, with the gear in place to assure alignment.

The landing gear area in the fuse has 3K cloth applied first of course, with a doubler layer in the immediate area of each hole cut out. The doubler overlaps about 1" all around. Total weight in the fuse is about 1 ounce but this could be reduced a bit and depends on the area covered.

Good luck with it and hope that clarifies the essential points