RCU Forums - View Single Post - Distance judging
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 12:13 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I tried different props, but it flies best on the 16x8, and now that I have the CG pushed back, flies exactly like my first one did, and is so much easier to land, now it touches down gracefully and not slamming into the ground. Having it really nose heavy showed me what the problem was. When I backed off on the elevator, the nose dropped quickly, which is why I was having so many problems flaring at touchdown, but when it became really tail heavy losing that hatch, I was able to set it down much smoother, but it was really touchy on approach. I rebalanced at 4" CG, then on landing, as soon as I was just about to touch, and relaxed the stick, the nose dropped and BANG right into the ground hard, I restarted, went around again and second landing attempt same exact thing, so I pulled the hatch off, removed an ounce, put it back on(hatch is now very secure), went up and landed again, this time it was much more stable, but still a tad nose heavy as it still dropped its nose when I relaxed on the up. Pulled another 1/4 ounce, and now it lands perfectly, smooth, level, easy to control, and coming up over the top of the corn is no longer a problem, let it sink at idle, then just as it comes over, apply a touch of throttle, pull back, level off, back to idle and it settles in perfectly. I think having the original hatch pop off was what helped figure out the problem the most. I really had no problems landing the LT40 since I had so many hours flying it, but the 4*120 is larger and longer and thats where I was having the real problem, judging when it was actually over the corn, and not the actual landing. There were a few close calls, but none that caused a crash.

The most ironic thing of all, everyone thought it was tail heavy, but it was just the opposite. I just happened to have high throws and no expo on it at that time, but now with expo dialed in, it is no longer twitchy in the tail. Losing all the nose weight proved that out, thankfully I had expo dialed in before then, or it would mostly likely be a wood pile now.

Now that flying season is just about over here, I finally got my plane dialed in. I guess its time to find some ski's for flying off snow.