RCU Forums - View Single Post - Composite-Arf 33% Gee Bee R2 - First Flight - Pics - Videos - L@@K
Old 10-06-2013, 08:27 AM
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The first thing I discovered (with a new engine dome) was that the "top" of the dome (based on the location of panel lines) is NOT the correct top as this would result in the engine right thrust being incorrect. I highly suggest using a digital angle meter to verify the actual center/maximum of the dome right thrust. The diminutive DA120 requires a considerable stand-off to position it far enough forward, but this is even more pronounced when utilizing the scale cowl I produced. But of course, that is ALL GOOD since the reduction in nose weight will be partially off-set by the shift of everything far forward
Although canisters are neither required at my field NOR do they contribute to lower weight, I feel the reduction in noise will improve the overall "pilot peace of mind" which is an acceptible trade-off in my book.. and these Zimmermann's worked so perfectly on this DA120 in a previous plane, I simply had to incorporate them. Add to that a quiet CF Mejlik 29x10S and I am hoping for a big reduction in FRANTIC!
The ENTIRE engine, exhaust, ignition, dome, mount, etc. weighs the same as the 3W157CS alone, so the reduction in weight is considerable.
I am ready to repaint the elevator assembly and permanantly install it. At that stage, I can check the CG and determine exactly where the equipment must be placed. I am also applying panel line and rivet detail to the scale cowl as well as dummy radial mounts prior to painting.
Will provide updates as I have them.
GOOD LUCK with your maiden Stevo!

Last edited by RichardGee; 10-06-2013 at 08:30 AM.