RCU Forums - View Single Post - Taft Hobby EPO Viperjet, 90mm EDF/micro turbine *Video*
Old 10-10-2013, 09:28 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by flycatch
So gentlemen I see we have a turbine powered jet many want to ban for structural reasons and now we have a foam constructed jet with a turbine installed. I was under the impression that heat and foam are not good bed fellows. This combination in my opinion is a disaster waiting to happen.
Someone not knowing better always guesses a tubine is hot, which it really isn't. You always get the question "How high can you fly?" "how far away can you fly?" "how fast can you go?" But you never ever get a question "is the turbine hot?" as everybody know it is hot... or atleast they think so. In fact about 90% of the air used by the turbine is for cooling(!) and they are pretty cool. Now how do I know this? Because I have tested it. Testing is knowing

A Kolibri running at full power looks like this

Idle

Either you back mount or center monut the turbine, while ruinning you get a venturi effect keeping things well below the critical temp of the structure. I really think heat would be a greater problem in the fiber glass models then the foamies.