RCU Forums - View Single Post - Cessna L19 Bird Dog
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2013, 06:35 PM
Nodd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's dust on my Bird Dog!

Okay after goofing around with other projects for three months I'm actually back working on this. Yay!

If you recall I made a new vertical stabilizer, slightly larger & with a tab on the bottom that I figured might make a stronger joint...

That was great but I just can't get past how heavy the new tail is...

So I'm going to toss the heavy new tail & use the old one after all. But I'd still like some mechanical way to mount it to the horizontal stabilizer rather than just gluing it on top. So here's my solution...

This piece of hardwood sticking down into the tail will help make a better joint. Here's the new weight...

In the meantime I set the plane up on two identical chairs so she's sitting perfectly level with my bench. That'll help when its time to attach the horizontal stabilizer. I need that to be nice & level with the wings...

Also getting ready to square up the tail with the fuselage. Putting the tow release to work already...

That's all for today. Very nice to be back working on the old gal. We'll get her flying soon enough (& yeah you've heard that one before).