RCU Forums - View Single Post - Tips for glassing warbird.
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2013, 04:26 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Thanks for the reply sensei. I've read a lot of people using that. So, you put the glass on with it, do you still have to fill it in? Or are you filling the weave with the primer?so the epoxy won't add any strength? It's got to be at least as strong as ultra Kote, right? Not that I'm set on using it, just wondering.thanks again for taking the time to answer. Steve.
Hello Steve,

Yes you still must fill the weave regardless of what you place the glass down with. Talcum powder mixed in with the Minwax urethane works pretty good for filling the weave after the glass application is down and everything has set overnight, then prime as you see fit. The thing is this, epoxy is fine for use in this application, it is more expensive, it is two component so it must be mixed for every batch, it thickens and heats as you work with it because of it's exothermic reaction after mixing, so you need to move right along as you work because time is not really your friend. Now with the Minwax you open the can, relax, use what you need, and work at your own pace until finished, close the can for use at a later date...

Laminating epoxy has no strength by itself, now when you add multiple layer of glass and the binder/epoxy is very strong in this application, but weight is also an issue so just be careful. So you see, the application of using epoxy for cosmetically prepping for paint it is of no structural value, especially when there are things out today that makes things so much easier to use with equal too or better performance than epoxy. I too used epoxy and glass way back when as part of my paint prep regiment, but I also flew using am radios back then, and I fly 2.4 today. In the use of epoxy or urethane with a single ply of 1/2 to 3/4 oz glass, you will get hangar rash just as easy as plastic film covering, so don't let anyone kid you about that, and you can easily test this by simply dropping a 1/4" bolt 2" long from 36" up down on the surface and you will see thing much more clearly. Anyway I am sure your project will turn out great either way you go so I wish you the vary best.

Bob