RCU Forums - View Single Post - JET LEGEND VIPER BUILD THREAD
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2013, 06:37 AM
Mark Vandervelden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi LarsHoi
Wow that look nasty but what a testament to the construction that even after sustaining that damage it got down safely.
With so many of these airframes flying with out incident now you have been very unlucky to have had one crack like this.
Possibly its been stressed somehow before flight ? perhaps in transit were upon your first flight showed up the damage.
I was chatting with my UK rep this morning on an unrelated matter and he mentioned you have been offerd a replacement tail FOC
Good to know JL are looking after us and hopefully you will be back up and running with your Viper very soon.

Out of interest I happen to have a spare tail plane here from a Viper that meet it demise as a result of a faulty DX18 Tx.
This particular Viper struck the ground all but vertical and at "full power" so its tail end has been stress tested to say the least.
Fortunately it hit grass and although the airframe forward of the rear part of the turbine hatch was destroyed the tail survived.
This has given me to opportunity to test and see just how strong the tail really is so I have done a very unscientific test.
You will see from the picture below that its not really bending that much under the weight but the elevator would still operate !
I would have gone further and placed more even weight on it but simply ran out of heavy lumps to use and it was getting unstabel.
Total dead weight in the picture is 21,3Kg so twice the weight of the actual airframe
Don't know about you guys but im impressed

Last edited by Mark Vandervelden; 10-14-2013 at 06:52 AM.