RCU Forums - View Single Post - Build baja 5b in 1/3 scale
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013, 02:16 AM
Mudgy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by payambs
hi guys , i'm trying to build the baja 5b in 1/3 scale size, i want to know what kind of engine i have to use on this? (POWERFUL ENGINE)

please provide me some detail about this and tell me what about gearbox and clutch? the engine it comes with gear box and clutch or i have to buy it separately ??

Also i want to know if i buy some engine for this scale is it possible to use the 1/5 scale gearbox and clutch

I want some engine realli fast like
RCMax 70cc Baja Engine

Have you looked at Tanaka motors? 40cc carrying an 82kg rider is no slouch, especially with all the good bits added on.

As for the frame, perhaps a cheap way to visualize this is to make a quick 'mock - up" of the chassis. one way is electrical conduit and cable ties, just to give you an idea of real size, and layout.
Another is good ol' pencil and paper.

Before looking deep into gearboxes, and motors, maybe work out some basics first.

Your plan, if you have one, is what?

Chassis material? Welded tubes, or folded alloy like the real deal?

Scale size? put a masking tape rectangle on the floor, then you'll see what 1:3 is.

Estimate mass, then decide what power you can use, together with how you transmit the power - which leads to - output drive, gears, diff, drive shafts.
For a heavier 1:3 application, NONE of the 1:5 stuff will be of any real use to you, except for samples to build a bigger part yourself.

How close to the original do want to stay?

Then there's the idea - where do I find suspension parts/shocks/wheels/tyres?

You need a grasp on all of these before rushing in, otherwise you will have an abandoned project, or a finished one that cost you an arm, leg, and maybe a kidney.