RCU Forums - View Single Post - Composite-Arf 33% Gee Bee R2 - First Flight - Pics - Videos - L@@K
Old 10-20-2013, 07:27 AM
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Wing tube/spar mod: I am not aware of anyone installing a wing spar in an effort to eliminate the critical nature of the flying wires... Although I agree that the flying wires seem to be the "weak link" in this aircraft, they really ARE NOT if built properly. As a matter of fact, the primary reason this Gee Bee lands so well is BECAUSE of the flying wires being so integral to the structural integrity of the landing gear.
Although the gear mounting prevents movement fore and aft, it is the flying wires that prevent gear 'wobble' side to side. Without them, this Gee Bee would "turtle" a*s over tea kettle exactly like every other Gee Bee with scale gear.
Also, the wing is so thin, it would require multiple spars to provide the level of structural integrity provided by the flying wires.

Dihedral: The original had 4.5 degrees, but it is believed that 5.5 degrees makes the aircraft a bit more stable. It has also been asserted that both wings must have identical amounts of dihedral. While both of these claims seem logical, I cannot prove the efficacy of either one. It DOES make sense to assure equal wing dihedral, but detecting a handling difference between 4.5 and 5.5 may be an exercise in splitting hairs...

I continue to progress (slowly) on my DA120/lightening mods. Here you can see how the elevators will be deflected via pull/pull. Also, the new "equipment tray" with the elevator servo at the top and rudder servo at the bottom. Receiver is on the opposite side of the tray. Tray is made of balsa/ply 'sandwich' with CF reinforcement and is located directly over the CG. Speaking of which, my CG will be moved slightly aft (76.5mm) from its 3W157 position of 73-74mm. First, 76.5mm IS 18% which is exactly where the full scale is located. Second, with the reduction in weight, the aircraft will respond positively to the slightly aft CG, providing better elevator control at lower speeds. That's my 'theory' and I'm stickin' to it!!