RCU Forums - View Single Post - SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2013, 04:16 PM
Joystick TX

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KurtS
Thanks Jim,

I've got the airplane all pulled apart to repair some minor damage caused during the last dead stick yesterday. I spoke with Todd this morning and I have three things to try.

First is that I drilled a 1" hole in the firewall, directly behind the carb. This opens it up to breath air from farther back in the fuselage and not just air that is coming through the cowling intake. I also widened the cowling inside to allow more airflow to pass through. Don't know if either of those will work, but it wasn't hard to do and I'm willing to try anything at this point.

The third thing would be to put a line on the carb diaphragm cover vent hole and run that line inside the fuselage. These three things should allow it to breathe better, cool better, and open it up in case there was an air pressure or flow issue inside the cowling when the airplane was flying at a higher angle of attack. Since it only quit at half throttle and slower airspeeds, the relative wind to the cowl would be at a greater angle and..... well who knows. It's worth a shot.

But on the ground it runs like a dream. Easy to start, idles smoothly, nice transition to full throttle, even after a LONG idle. It is adjusted on the high end as the manual suggests, lean for max rpm then back the needle off 1/8 turn. It's only in the air at slower airspeeds and part throttle that it refuses to stay running. Maybe these tweaks I made today will be the cure.

Anyone know the part number for the Walbro diaphragm cover that has the hose barb already on it, or if there even is one?

Kurt
Kurt, your problem could also be an air leak in your fuel system. After you get it all back together, plug or clamp off the vent line and use a suction bulb to pull a vacuum on the line going to the carb. Don't try to find the leak using pressure.

I think the vent on the carb cover is a DIY project.