RCU Forums - View Single Post - Byron F-16 Turbine Conversion
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2013, 08:07 AM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes68charger
All I have done is strip the nitro stuff out. I have some nice retracts that came out of the same size Cermark F16 but just figured the front nose gear is 1in to short. But I just got a new set of trailing link struts for my falcon 120 from dream works and the nose gear will work great and is only $70

I figured I would sheet the foam wings with thin flight skin as it's strong and light. I fly off grass so a trailing link nose and flaps are my top concerns. I like the way byron made the Ali work so I'm going to keep that set up but modify the Ali's to act only as flaps. And use the flight skin to cover over the top of them so from the top you won't see them. This should help prevent flutter. Be careful as to not mess up the airfoil, I used to add carbon fiber rod to the leading edge and insert a carbon fiber .014 x 1/2 x 3" strip diagonally in a slot where the aileron is cut out from the wing. Then covered the wings with 3 layers of 000 silk span and white glue thinned 50% with water. Kept the airfoil the same and added virtually no weight. Plus was stronger than He!!. Did the same trick on the stabs and rudder/Fin.

I marked the the cg at 3 1/4 from main former. And cut a 6in hatch 3in behind the former from the bottom to build the turbine mount and exhaust set up. And so I can get my hands in to fix add material for the elevators.

So already got the upgraded rudder fourmers and the elevator servos are in the good place.

So can I just epoxy some carbonfiber rod in the elevator tubes to make them better? Back in the day I used to epoxy a music wire inside the elevator tubes , worked great. Never lost a stab after that!!

Im im going to get a sheet of light ply to build my mounts and braceing. Should I use 5mm or 3mm ply
Use aircraft ply not lite........

Last edited by Terry Holston; 10-26-2013 at 08:11 AM.