RCU Forums - View Single Post - Why do Spectrum radios use Satellite Recievers and Futaba radios do not?
Old 10-27-2013, 03:07 AM
rexbirk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SkidMan
No, not all Spektrum receivers use redundant receivers. Some, especially receivers targeted for the park flyer market, use a single receiver.

Yes. They actually are independent receivers with their own antennas. The primary receiver that controls the servos only uses signals from receivers that have received a given frame without error.

The polarization of antennas makes a difference with the higher frequencies of the 2.4 GHz band. Having more than one receiver allows the ability to have receivers in multiple orientations and locations.

Yes. There is a holy war between Spektrum and Futaba fanboys. It is essentially impossible to have an educated conversation comparing them on the forums. I suggest weighing the value of people's input based upon the maturity of their response.

Appropriate battery systems are essential with either make of receiver. There have been too many situations where people have tried to use 4-cell AA-sized NiMh batteries on planes with many servos, higher powered servos, or servos binding, where the inability of the NiMh batteries to sustain an adequate voltage under the current load has caused brown outs.

Punchline: IMHO the 2.4 GHz digital transmitters and receivers from Futaba, Spektrum, and several other companies are highly reliable. Particularly if you are a new pilot, check to see what is primarily used where you will fly, talk with a couple people, and buy a transmitter that will meet your needs now and for the next couple years. Now that the radio systems are starting to fall in line with Moore's Law it does not make sense to over-buy - New, better, more capable, and less expensive equipment will continuously become available.

Paul
Oops, wrong quote in my last post. Sorry.

Very well put Paul. Couldn't have said it any better myself and probably would have said it worse!