RCU Forums - View Single Post - Why do Spectrum radios use Satellite Recievers and Futaba radios do not?
Old 10-28-2013, 04:47 PM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kim Couturier
As I read this thread, I am struck by all the confusion.....all I have to do, is watch what happens at my home field. I can site numerous crashes using spectrum, which are very obviously signal loss.....I have seen zero crashes like this with Futaba.....pretty much sums it up for me!
How many Futaba users are there verses Spektrum users? If there are more Spektrum, then naturally there could be more Spektrum related crashes. Also with Spektrum being cheaper, would it be fair to say more beginner/lower skilled pilots are using them which appears to be where most of the signal loss crashes are?

Many so called "signal loss" crashes, are in reality pilot error. Example; the plane goes into a spin and won't recover no matter what the pilot does. Quite often the plane has stalled without the pilot realising and the pilot throwing the sticks around makes it worse untill it crashes. Then blames the radio. I've seen this scenario a few times.

I'm not aiming this at anyone in particular or being argumentative, just making a comment from my experience and looking at it from a different angle.

I've always used JR apart from a couple of Spektrums bought as RTF and never had a signal loss problem or a radio related crash. Having not used Futaba i can't comment on them. I do think many crashes are unnecessarily blamed on the radio.
As has already been said, there will always be arguments as to which brand is better. Always will be. If one particular brand works for you, then stick with it. If you are a new comer then go to a club and watch and learn. Ask questions so you can make an informed descision.