RCU Forums - View Single Post - Why do Spectrum radios use Satellite Recievers and Futaba radios do not?
Old 10-29-2013, 06:10 AM
Steve S. Helland
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen much success in our hobby with all brands of radios. I have seen many other pilots have flight failures while using the 2.4 Ghz systems. Never once did I attribute one of those failures to a loss of bind or a data interruption to the receiver. There is so much more that can go wrong with our set-ups such as:

1) Insufficient battery power

2) Electro-mechanical failure-bad switch, worn contacts, bent pins, using worn components...1000 different scenarios.

It always seems easiest for a pilot to say "Oh, he's using a Spektrum and I heard this and that...don't use those radios because they drop the bind".

Realize that the companies who design and manufacture these radio sets, (JR, Spektrum, Futaba etc.) have incredible R&D teams who have done extensive testing before they put them on the market. If these systems were in any way going to cause the companies to be liable I am sure that they would not have put them on the market to millions of users world wide. This subject is based upon fear.

I use Futaba systems only because I chose long ago to stick with one brand. I do understand how and why the 2.4 Ghz systems work and I have never had a failure because I am very thorough about how I set up my birds-wiring, switches, sufficient good quality batteries with sufficient charge etc.

In essence I pay these guys lots of money so I can purchase a good quality product that I know works well when used as recommended.
Analogy: Sometimes I want to stick my head up a bulls butt to get a good look at a T-bone steak...but I'm more inclined to take the butcher's word for it.