RCU Forums - View Single Post - P-51B Mustang 32e ARF by E-flite
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2013, 08:27 AM
danpos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by airraptor
I will take some pictures in the morning for you. mine came out at 6.1 lbs dry. I am flying it with a Saito 100. The plane is built well and can handle most any engine.

For the Saito 72 i would fly it with a 12x8-12x9 prop.

I dont like the flap set up as it allows way to much slop. It does lock up tight retracted but changes a bunch when deployed.

Yes please post pictures plenty of pictures of the engine mounting and throttle setup.

I'm very familiar with the plane itself. I had three of these in total. Two were electric that I have been flying for two years now. And I have a new one in a box which is going to be nitro.
I lost one due to radio failure. Broken antenna... lost radio signal and down it came. The other electric had vibrated two out of three of the screws that holds the electric motor on the mount. So I came in to land after it went crazy in flight and landed rough enough to do a little damage to the wing where it bolts to the fusilage. Repairable.

I really like this plane. It's fun as heck to fly. And on a bad day, a pain to land. But when you are having a good day it's a blast to fly!

I also believe it will be much better as a nitro plane than electric. As electric it's so easy to slow it down too much when landing that you can fall out of your approach easily. Not to the point of crashing, but so that you lose your groove...

I'm using a Saito FA-72 in my Hangar 9 P-40B and Corsair and they are fast and powerful. I started flying them with a Power 46, and a Power 60 and they are much better with nitro engines.
Actually since I started flying nitro powered planes every plane I like has been converted to Saito powered instead of electric.

I have been using a 13x6 MAS prop. in my Saito 72's so far.
The Saito 72 should work very well in this Mustang.

A Saito 100 would be nuts! I have one in my SIG Hog Bipe and it's very powerful and fast.
I would really like to see video of the Eflite P-51B with a Saito 100! I bet it's something to see!

For the flaps I only use metal gear servo's. Everything else I tried was sloppy.
Here is a picture of my two other Eflite P-51B's before I lost the RAF Mustang III version.

This thread is great! Keep posting your plane pictures and hopefully video too.

I'm quite excited to get this project started. It should be tons of fun.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P51B.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	1934387  

Last edited by danpos; 10-29-2013 at 08:42 AM.