View Single Post
Old 10-31-2013, 11:25 PM
SeaHawk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BaldEagel
See you have been keeping up with your reading, see Page 93 post 2318. LOL

MIke
Hello Mike,

I have to admit I hadn't seen your post either before deciding what needed to be done.
I was influenced by trial and error. First flight was on unmodified wings, Robart retracts and home built straight "oleos".
First landing was smooth yet during the rollout one of the retracts just fell out. Glued back in and added glue to the other side. They came out again when the RAM 750 shed a blade after takeoff and I had to land in the rough. One leg wasn't fast enough to tuck away and out it came. Next I took both wings to a friend's workshop and did them properly. I bought at great expense (about 12 each) three trailing arm nosegear struts from Hobbyking. I then removed the old U/C bearers and threw them away. New bearers were fabricated from Tasmanian Oak and fitted into the wings with a forward angle to allow the wheel to still retract into the original well. the lot was reinforced with 1/4 square Tassie Oak and covered over with 2.7mm ply. The ply stands a bit proud of the surrounding balsa skin but can be sanded back.

When the version 2 wings arrived from Ken at KMRC Jets I went straight around to Patrick's workshop and we performed the mods before even fitting out the wings. These have survived many flights and some less than perfect landings.

With the new Falcon now being assembled (in Royal Navy'ish colours) We are performing the mods on these wings. I will attach some pics.

The moral to this story is to read this forum and take the advice of the posters BEFORE going out and learning the hard way.

Col
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	GearMods3.jpg
Views:	1217
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	1935556   Click image for larger version

Name:	GearMods1.jpg
Views:	1214
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1935557   Click image for larger version

Name:	GearMods2.jpg
Views:	1221
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	1935558   Click image for larger version

Name:	Covering 1.jpg
Views:	1262
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	1935559  

Last edited by SeaHawk; 11-05-2013 at 02:18 AM.