RCU Forums - View Single Post - Bob Cat Copy Falcon 120 Jet
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2013, 05:41 PM
SeaHawk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes68charger
So I have read a lot about strengthening up the retract mounts but what are some things you guys do once inside the wing for the rest of the wing?
After opening up this second lot of wings I would suggest using Robart hinges and adding extra material to the false trailing edge for them to glue into. If you are changing the colour then remove the film from the ailerons and strengthen behind the aileron leading edge where the Robart hinges are located. I am not fully sheeting the ailerons.
Follow Ken's advice for drilling and attaching the wings with two sets of wing bolts.

I read the alummun wing tube is a few inch short so my plan is to find a wood dowl to fit inside that is 4in short on each side. Then get a wood dowl that is the same size as the tube. Then I only have to shave down 4in of of the dowl so I can extend it a little
I didn't use the supplied Aluminium (Aluminum in the US) wing spars. My Falcons are both ver 1 that come with 1mm wall thickness tube. (and yes, too short) Friend Brian took me over to a local supplier and we got a length of 2.5mm wall ali tube of the correct diameter. This was then cut to the correct length for each of our Falcons. I used the smaller front spar as supplied.

Is sheeting the wing and adding some wood to the spar about all needed.

I guess seeing more broken wings would let you know it's weak points
If you are going to be stressing the model there are probably other areas than could be reinforced but the way I fly this has been adequate (touch wood).
I will be adding epoxy to the boom in the area of the attachment points but that is about all the extra work I will be doing. If you would like pics of certain areas just let me know and I'll take some before closing up the wings.

Col