RCU Forums - View Single Post - Giant Model Products Introduces a 50cc GeeBee R3 ARF
Old 11-03-2013, 12:56 AM
EQ1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Undercarriage modifications

The landing gear is definitely the weak point on this bird. The length along with the stiff steel design guarantees really bad landings. Nobody should be astonished if his/her airplane will jump like kangaroo when not set down silk smooth. Therefore, I completely redesigned the struts and applied shock absorbers from RC cars (replaced the spring with a stiffer one), which adds dampening. There is no way to do smooth landings without dampers. Springs take the energy when compressed, but they give it back nearly 100% on release. So we need to absorb this energy, which is usually done by oil dampers. The other point is that the struts, NOT the pants need to be fixed by the flying/landing wires. To do this you need thicker wires than the stock ones. I replaced mine with 1mm wires sucessfully.

Here are some pics of my mods. The costs are really low, about 50$ plus some work.

Concerning the "yaw problem": The large landing gear lead to a significat amount of area IN FRONT OF the cg, which means reduced stability around the yaw axis. This is no problem as long as they are straight and equally angled. Otherwise one gets all kinds of weird flying behavior. A larger vertical tail and rudder would help to overcome the mounting mistakes, but are generally not necessary. Mine flies really nice without any problem. Here is a short vid of it (50cc version):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knCJUCpMyiI Have a nice day!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130830_201436.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	1936186   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130830_220022.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	2.06 MB
ID:	1936187