RCU Forums - View Single Post - In-Line Twin projects
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 10:09 AM
Jeremy_H

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Dadkins. Yeah thanks, that's where I'm heading, it's what I was alluding too when I mentioned joins. A thin ply sheet would be pretty much the plan profile of the boat, but I'm pondering extending that to the inner sides of the sponsons in full side profile. There'd need to be joins in the ply above and below the deck sheet to achieve that of course. In my head this ply will provide engine thrust load transmission throughout the hull (via a plate I'll be experimenting with on this little one), provide strong edges and compression strength to the sides and bottoms of the sponsons, provide edges to profile down foam infills, and it allows the pre-profiling of a couple of foam parts off the boat such as the centre hull.

Coincidentally, as you mention them, I'm trying a resin intended for surf boards on this trial boat, I've never made a board but have watched those who do, I'm just not sure if it's properties are right for this, we need thixotropic resins really and this one is designed to flow out. Dunno, Epoxy is there is in the background as a default, but this board stuff sounds strong with specific foam adhesion benefits and easy to sand, but it's a Polyester base. One of few resins intended to be used on this inside out glassing method. We'll see, waiting for deliveries, I have a variety of mats from strong but rough 2oz CSM through cloths and tissues to fine weave bi-axial Carbon Fibre to play with when the resins arrive .