RCU Forums - View Single Post - Pole Dancer - Sport Pylon Racer for Cox Sure Start
Old 11-09-2013, 08:43 PM
straitnickel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 049flyer
For the past year or so my flying buddies and I have been having a blast chasing each other around pylons with planes powered by Cox Sure Start Engines. Just a gentleman's race, nothing too serious, just the fun of watching 3 or 4 Cox powered planes screaming around the pylons in close proximity to each other. Intentional cuts are allowed in order to keep all of the planes together in a pack while sort of trying to avoid a mid-air. No one really wants to be too fast or too slow. The only rule is reed valve engines only, anything else goes!

We started out building GLH type planes but found them a little too big and heavy for sporty performance with a Sure Start. I decided to design something just for Sure Start engines.

My design goals were as follows:

1. High wing for easy hand launches and easy servo installation.
2. Ready to fly weight - 12 oz maximum
3. Fully symmetrical wing
4. Maximum durability as mid-airs do happen!
5. Easy to build and pleasing to look at
6. Elevated horizontal stab to avoid catching on the grass on landing
7. Rounded fuselage bottom for fun slip and slide landings

While looking through some old RCM magazines I came upon the Quickie designed by Fred Reese. I used this design as a basis for the Pole Dancer and set about drawing the new plane in CAD. I drew full size plans and even templates that can be printed on any 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper or better still card stock.

Collectively we have built about 6 Pole Dancers between us and we agree that the plane is a BLAST. It flies fast and goes where you point it! The wing loading is light enough to allow whipping around the pylons, BANK and YANK! When the engine quits it glides like a sport plane not a floating glide like some 1/2a planes, this one is on it's way down but in a nice manageable manner. Most of the time if the engine quits anywhere on the course, if you turn toward the runway as soon as the engine quits, you'll make it without problems. If you delay, you walk.

If there is any interest I can post the plans and templates and I'll document my latest build here so everyone can join in the fun! You can cut your own wing or I'll cut one for you for foam, postage and a couple of bucks to buy more Cox parts.

Anyone interested?

what does GLH stand for in the 1st. post