RCU Forums - View Single Post - Unexpected flight characteristics
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2013, 08:57 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much maximum rudder throw left to right do you have set ?
Do you have dual rates set for the rudder?
What type of surface are you flying from?
I would set the rudder for maximum throw and set the dual rates/H/L rates on the transmitter so Low is at 40% and high is 100%. When you are on the ground for taxi /ready to take off switch to low rates and this should "tame down" the tail movements until you get more experience with it. You may have to lower the low rate percentage even more but once you get the feel for it you can bump it back up. Once you are in the air you can switch to high and then back to low when coming in . Only drawback when on the ground in taxi in low rates is making tight turns.....you may have to switch high to turn and then switch to low before take-off.
Once the tail lifts up the engine torque will want to pull the plane a bit to the side and you need to correct with a little opposite rudder. You need to learn how to use the rudder basics for taxi, take-off, and landings and then for coordinated turns and eventually knife-edges when you move on to different /larger,possibly more aerobatic planes. This is a great plane to practice on.
Also ,in my opinion, don't use Expo on a plane like this....it doesn't need it. Use dual rates for all surfaces and set the low rates to the minimum recommended throws or around 50% of the high rates(maximum throws). If you feel it's a bit jumpy in the air then program a little expo for the elevator ...like 20% and then dial it down as you become comfortable with the plane and eventually turn it off. The best thing is to learn to fly the plane using the transmitter not having the transmitter try and fly the plane.

Last edited by flyinwalenda; 11-13-2013 at 09:00 AM.