RCU Forums - View Single Post - RC Turbine Stall?
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2013, 01:04 PM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryC
What do you think powered the Meteor, Vampire, Venom, P-80 Shooting Star etc? Not real jets?

Spot on Harry, of course they are real jets, just in miniature ! Can't see much difference in basic design between a Derwent, Goblin, Nene and most APUs, and a JetCat, AMT, Wren and PST etc. !(except the electronics of the model jets are light years ahead of the early centrifugals with basic AFRCUs (although the Goblin didn't even have one ) and BFCUs

I have done hundreds of tailslides in model jets (you might have seen me do them with the BobCats whilst trying to stall turn them and many in the (real) Jet Provost when I was instructing, still haven't experienced a stall, surge or flameout even when deliberately mishandling the throttle.

I think Dr Honda is confusing the function of the supplementary intakes on the Mig 29 the function of which is to supply air to the engine when the main ramps are closed for FOD protection. The RD33 engine in the Mig is an extraordinarily good engine and was demonstrated at Farnborough about 3 years ago and highly impressed even the most experienced military pilots.

David.

( Viper, which you couldn't get to flameout or stall even in a tailslide, a bullet proof little engine even though the throttle controlled noise rather than thrust , Goblin, needed careful handling during acceleration, Avon (which would stall at the drop of a hat, even with bleed valves working correctly, ) Saphire, (would seize with centerline closure in the tropics), Gnome, Derwent, Orpheus, Conway, JT8, CFM56, CF6, RB211) and a few hours being pushed by the mighty Olympus 593)

Last edited by David Gladwin; 11-18-2013 at 01:18 PM.