RCU Forums - View Single Post - Anyone try toe-out on tail dragger gear to prevent gound looping?
Old 11-22-2013, 06:14 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Toe out does a couple of things. First it helps to level the plane out when one wheel touches the ground before the other. The slight toe out will not cause the plane to start to trip over its wheel instead it allows for some side slip angle and then aids in leveling the wing on its gear. On take off you may notice using a little more rudder input depending on the model.
With toe in if you have a less than perfect touch down the first tire to touch will steer the plane to the opposite direction of the wing bank angle. This will start to allow the high CG of the plane over the gear to gain momentum and lead to bouncing off each wing tip or wheel or cart wheeling.
Another example is from buggy and truck racing off road. When a vehicle lands from a jump with one front wheel touching first the angle of the wheel will determine if the awkward landing can be recoverable. Racers use toe out in part for this reason. As the one tire touches and gains traction the toe out angle levels the chassis and usually saves an otherwise poor landing.

Both toe out and toe in will induce drag as the plane accelerates or lands because the tires are scrubbing, not running parallel. The amount of toe out were talking about is no more than 3deg out from zero per side when the wing is level.

All my warbirds for years have been set up with toe out and anyone in my club will attest to how smooth my planes land. I never get the tank slapper landings thanks to this set up. Give it a try!