RCU Forums - View Single Post - Cessna L19 Bird Dog
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2013, 07:01 PM
Nodd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wing Mounting System
I thought I was done with this but I'm not happy with my wing mounting system...

Specifically I don't trust these wimpy little wooden dowels. They're made of soft pine & they're pretty short. It wouldn't take much to either break these or pop them out during flight...

So for the second time now, I opened up the wing...

I drilled out the center dowel & replaced it with a length of brass tube...

Cut the brass tube & capped both ends with epoxy...

While that was drying I got rid of the old wooden dowels, cya!...

Glued in the brass tube...

Re-sheeted & closed up the wing...

I drilled a matching hole in the top of the windshield & then glued the brass tube into that end too...

Use a hack-saw blade to cut the brass tube...

Now I have two pieces of brass tube perfectly aligned, one in the wing & one in the fuselage...

A short length of carbon-fiber...

Pop that into the brass tube...

And we're good to go...

I only have carbon-fiber rod in the correct size right now but I plan to swap that out with some carbon-fiber tubing. I want that to be a failure point in a crash but this CF rod is way way too strong. Anyway I'm feeling much better about the way the wing is mounted now. Those stupid wooden dowel nubbins were scary.

Home Depot Color Matching
So I schlepped on down to the hardware store with a roll of green Ultracote under my arm. The dude in the paint department didn't seem at all phased when I asked him to color match me some paint. I guess he's seen it all...

What's nice is they'll sell you a sample sized pot of custom paint (7 FL OZ (200 ML)) for a few bucks. You don't have to buy gallons of the stuff.

My elevator & rudder already primed...

This small airgun was a bargain at Harbor Freight. It's perfect for small jobs like this...

And we have green tail-feathers...

So much for the Home Depot's deluxe color matching system LOL...

I just want to get this thing flying already, not too worried about it.

Last edited by Nodd; 11-23-2013 at 07:28 PM.