RCU Forums - View Single Post - Amazon's delivery service"by drone" ?
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2013, 07:58 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasAirBoss
It is my understanding that it is currently illegal for privately owned drones to fly A to B and land at B.

Hi Texas Air Boss ,

Yes , that very may well be true , but as we all know , Laws are VERY fluid things and have been amended many times in recognition of advances in technology (one needs only to look at automobile speed laws here in the US which have evolved as our vehicle's capabilities have) .....

It will not be such laws that determine the viability of such means of delivery , it will be the laws of simple economics and the laws of nature . On the economic front , if the TOTAL cost of this program ends up making it more cost effective than standard delivery , the companies WILL embrace these savings and the tweaks in "drone law" allowing such deliveries will be paid for by the political lobbying dollars of the companies involved ....

Now , as to the laws of nature , SURE , in nice bright sunny warmer states I can see this running year round . But ya know what ? Here in the Northeast we get SO many winter's days with +20 MPH or greater winds and icing that I just can't see how some 10 or 20 pound delivery craft will be able to operate in the hostile environment reliably . Right now , if a package gets "lost in the mail" is is the loss of the package only . How financially viable would such an idea be when each loss would most likely result in the loss of the delivery vehicle as well ? I'm not so sure relying on , or trusting , a day's worth of deliveries (and delivery VEHICLES) to the whims of today's weather reporting would be in any companies' best financial interest (lets not forget that today's "weathermen" couldn't predict a sunny day through an open window at high noon) .

Anyway , those are my random thoughts on the subject . Anything CAN be done (like the "concord sst transport") but can it compete economically with the existing system it's trying to replace ? (as obviously the sst couldn't and met a financial demise because of it) ..

Last edited by init4fun; 12-04-2013 at 08:03 AM.