RCU Forums - View Single Post - Aeroworks 50CC Mustang Rebuild
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2013, 09:48 AM
ctshepherd
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Decided to do a little more work on the Mustang as it is a rainy and cold day here in North Carolina...

First thing I did was cut out the replacement cowling mounting tabs, there are six of these tabs needed.

I then decided to replace the damaged front section on the left fuselage side. First photo shows where I marked the damaged area to be cut off. I used a dremel with a cut off wheel. Second photo shows me hold the replacement piece from behind the side to mark where it would need to be cut. Third photo shows the 1/16" ply doubler to go over the joint and the fourth photo shows the repaired piece.

The repaired left front fuselage side.

As you can see, I have attached the replacement right side. The top of that side is 1/16" lower than the left because someone did not measure the wood on the left side correctly! The balsa stick on the left side is 1/4 x 5/16 and the replacement balsa stick that I ordered is 1/4 x 1/4. I will just have to sand the left side down a 1/16" so everything matches.

Now, just waiting on the stuff from Aeroworks to arrive on Wednesday so I can get the dimensions from the cowl to cut out the two remaining formers that turned into dust from the crash.

The replacement wing hold block is looking good, nice and strong. Needs a few pieces of balsa to build out the length on the trailing edge to match up to the fuselage. Pictures on that next time.